Sunday, October 10, 2010

How I Score a Chestnut

Before you roast fresh chestnuts, you need to score each shell with an "X". I used to do this with a knife until I tried it with my kitchen shears one day. It's a million times easier and faster this way, and it's a little less likely that you will slip and hurt yourself; still, be careful!

Once you have scored all of your chestnuts, stick them in a 375 degree oven for 10-15 minutes until they pop open, allow them to cool, and then pull open the shells. Store the chestnut meat in the fridge if you're going to use it in a few days. Or you can just keep 'em in the freezer for up to a month.

BTW, I bought these particular chestnuts at the Memphis Botanic Garden's Wednesday afternoon farmers market. They are from the garden's very own trees. Be on the lookout for chestnuts from the very same haul to be on menus around town this month! Today, I'm thinking of making some sort of chestnut cream...

2 comments:

PawPurrry said...

Thank you so much for this advise. I am have been wanting to make Chestnut stuffing...this will help greatly!

Happy Thanksgiving!

PawPurrry said...

LOL I must have been napping while typing that last post...LOL...sorry for the errors!