Monday, March 30, 2009

Vegetarian Cooking Class


Going into this, I really had no idea what to expect, and I was a little nervous. I'd never taught a cooking class before, but I can tell you now that it was a wonderful experience. I'm so glad I did it, and I 
cannot wait until next time.

My class was full of vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike. All of them were attentive and curious. They had lots of good questions -- many of which I could answer and some that I could not. We made four of my recipes. I decided that it would be fun to do a breakfast, lunch, and dinner recipe along with a recipe for a special occasion. So we made migas tacos, bhan mi sandwiches, empanadas, and portobello mushrooms stuffed with arugula and smoked-almond pesto. I wanted everyone to be able to taste the things that we made, so we had to make enough of each dish so that 26 students could get a taste. That is a small catering operation. We fed 26 people 4 times in 3 hours. Whew!
I do have to give a special thanks to The Wife without whom I would not be able to do, well, much of anything. She had the great idea to do a raffle, which kept things interesting. We gave away two $25 gift cards to Whole Foods (big thanks to Liza for that), and two Fieldroast T-shirts (big thanks to Jennifer for that). She helped with every facet of the class. She even taught everyone how to make empanada dough.

My next class will be at Whole Foods on April 26th from 3-5 p.m. It will be a FREE class, so I hope to see all of you there. I'll teach you how to make veggie burgers from scratch and show you several variations on the veggie burger theme. The class is in conjunction with a story I just wrote for Edible Memphis about locally made veggie burgers. Check out the new spring issue for details.

Thanks to Dan for the pix.

2 comments:

Michael Hughes said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bianca said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.