Monday, January 26, 2009

Kelly's Lunch Box: Mock Chicken Salad with Tempeh (V)

My good friend and running partner, Kelly, decided to go vegetarian shortly after New Year's Day. He has been enjoying his new meat-free life, but he has had one recurring question for me: What do you eat for lunch? It made me realize that lunch is a particularly meaty meal, and may prove to be a challenge for newly minted vegetarians. 

TCV to the rescue. Since I make The Wife's lunch every day, I decided to share my portable creations with you in hopes that it will make your mornings easier and your mid-day more delicious.
Ingredients:

1 block tempeh (cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
1 medium pickle (diced)
2 ribs celery with the leaves left on (diced)
2 spoonfuls vegan mayo (Spectrum Organics makes a good one)
a squeeze of spicy mustard
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 teaspoon Braggs
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 tablespoons water
S & P tp taste

Toss the oil, water, Braggs, and tempeh in a microwave-safe bowl, cover, and microwave for two minutes. Let the tempeh stand covered for 2 minutes, add the remaining ingredients, and then toss until everything is incorporated. This should make enough for three or four sammies depending on how much you snack and how high you stack.


5 comments:

Bianca said...

I LOVE tempeh chicken salad! Best stuff ever. I'll have to try your recipe. It's so precious that you make Amy's lunch everyday!

Michael Hughes said...

Darth Veggie!

Anonymous said...

TCV truly is precious all the time! Awwww!

- A

Chris said...

I haven't had the wherewithal to buy tempeh for awhile, but I might just splurge for this awesome-looking salad recipe.

Anonymous said...

Yum. As usual, all of your photographs are beauties!